YOU CAN HELP ANIMALS BY....
If you are interested, here is some info and a few guidelines:
- ALL VOLUNTEERS MUST BE 16 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER, unless accompanied by an adult family member the whole time they are here. Please do not bring children here under the age of 16 and drop them off to work; we appreciate your good intentions, but working around wild animals can be very dangerous, and we do not have enough adult volunteers on site to watch over young children and keep them safe.
- New volunteers can show up to work any day of the week from 8:00 AM until noon; once trained, they can come whenever they want during regular working hours, 7:00 AM to 6:00 PM.
- Duties for indoor volunteers will include (but not limited to): chopping of fruits and vegetables; preparing fish for pelicans; preparing diets for song birds, raccoons and possums; unfolding newspapers; feeding baby birds (this job requires special training); sweeping, mopping, washing dishes, and general cleaning chores.
- Outside volunteer positions are also available. Please keep in mind that mosquitoes are a real problem right now thanks to the standing water left by Tropical Storm Debby. Duties will include (but not limited to): raking, cleaning and bleaching outdoor habitats, and feeding the animals in those habitats. These are strenuous activities in a very hot environment and are recommended only for those in very good physical condition.
- Please wear appropriate clothing (something you don't mind getting VERY dirty) and good non-slip shoes.
- Volunteers should be prepared to stand for long periods, work in a noisy environment, and deal with the odor created by fish-eating birds.
We thank everyone who volunteers with us. It takes a special kind of person to jump on board and we appreciate all of you!
These photos show some of the volunteers providing critical care to the animals.
If you would like to volunteer, please call 850-363-2351 and talk with Chris.